Thursday, November 14, 2013

First Official Observation

First visit to the aquarium:

There were so many organisms floating around in my aquarium. What happened? Anyway, I did find a few species of interest. My favorite that I have discovered can be found both swimming freely but somehow also attached to the plants.

Limnias sp. Rotifer.
Here’s some fun facts about this little guy taken from: http://www.polarlife.ca/organisms/inverts/fresh_inverts/rotifera.htm
(Please note this information is about the phylum)

They have a double row of hairs surrounding their mouth.
These look to be constantly in motion from what I observed .
There hairs are used to draw a water current which then carries food to the organism.

Upon further look at my insect from before (it was a bit harder to find this time. I didn’t realize it could move), I am starting to think it could be a larva of some kind. I am hoping to eventually identify it, but I find D. McFarland a bit intimidating so I don’t think I’ll ask.


Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment